SSC JE Syllabus 2021 PDF | Check SSC JE Exam Pattern – The syllabus for Staff Selection Commission (SSC) Junior Engineer (JE) is released by SSC itself. Candidates can get the same by visiting the official website .
The SSC Junior Engineering (SSC JE) exam has two papers – Paper 1 and Paper 2. The Paper-I of SSC JE 2021 exam will be conducted from 22nd March to 25th March 2021. Candidates appearing for SSC JE exam should be aware of SSC JE syllabus 2021 along with all topics. In this article, we are covering detailed SSC JE Syllabus and Exam Pattern for all engineering branches (Civil, Electrical and Mechanical).
SSC JE Syllabus 2021 PDF | Check SSC JE Exam Pattern
|Organization Name||Staff Selection Commission (SSC)|
|Post Name||Junior Engineer (JE)|
|Selection Process||Computer Based Test, Written Test, Physical Standard Test, Physical Efficiency Test, Medical Test|
|Job Location||Across India|
SSC Exam Pattern 2021
- SSC JE Examination will consist of two Papers i.e. Paper-I and Paper-II.
- The Paper-I will be conducted online (Computer Based Examination).
- Paper-II Exam is a Descriptive Type Paper which be held offline (Written Examination).
- There will be negative marking of 0.25 marks for each wrong answer in Paper-I.
SSC Junior Engineer Paper – I Exam Pattern 2021
- Mode of exam – Computer Based Test
- Type of questions – Objective questions
- Duration of exam – 02 hours
- Total marks – 200 marks
- Language of question paper – Hindi & English
- Number of questions – 200 questions
- Distribution of Questions
|Subject||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks||Duration & Timings|
|General Awareness||50||50||2 Hours|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||50||50|
|Part A- General Engineering (civil & structural) or
Part B- General Engineering (electrical) or
Part C- General Engineering (mechanical) or
Staff Selection Committee JE Paper – II Exam Pattern 2021
- Mode of examination: Offline exam
- Type of questions: Descriptive type
- Language: Candidates can write answers in either Hindi or English.
- Marks: 300 marks
- Duration of examination: 2 hours
- Part-A – General Engineering (Civil & Structural)
- Part-B – General Engineering (Electrical)
- Part-C – General Engineering (Mechanical)
|Subject||Maximum Marks||Duration & Timings|
|General Engineering(Civil & Structural)||300||2 Hours|
|Part B- General Engineering (Electrical)|
|Part C- General Engineering (Mechanical)|
SSC JE Syllabus
SSC JE Syllabus 2021 (Civil) – Paper 1:
(i) General Intelligence & Reasoning: (Weightage – 50 Marks) (both Verbal and Non-Verbal)
The Syllabus for General Intelligence would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. The test may include questions on
- Space Visualization
- Decision making
- Visual Memory
- Relationship Concepts
- Arithmetical Reasoning
- Verbal And Figure Classification
- Arithmetical Number Series Etc.
(ii) General Awareness: (Weightage – 50 Marks)
- Questions will also be designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observations and experience in their scientific aspect as may be expected of any educated person.
- The test will also include questions relating to India and its neighboring countries especially pertaining to History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General Polity, and Scientific Research, etc.
- These questions will be such that they do not require a special study of any discipline.
(iii) General Engineering (Civil and Structural), (Electrical & Mechanical):
Civil Engineering –
- Building Materials, (Weightage – 8 to 13 Marks)
- Estimating, Costing and Valuation, (Weightage – 5 to 7 Marks)
- Surveying, (Weightage – 7 to 10 Marks)
- Soil Mechanics, (Weightage – 10 to 14 Marks)
- Hydraulics and Irrigation Engineering, (Weightage – 13 to 16 Marks)
- Transportation Engineering, (Weightage – 11 to 15 Marks)
- Environmental Engineering. (Weightage – 7 to 10 Marks)
- Theory of Structures, (Weightage – 7 to 11 Marks)
- Concrete Technology, (Weightage – 4 to 6 Marks)
- RCC Design, Steel Design. (Weightage – 8 to 12 Marks)
- Steel Design (Weightage – 6 to 9 Marks)
Electrical Engineering –
- Basic concepts,
- Circuit law,
- Magnetic Circuit,
- AC Fundamentals,
- Measurement and Measuring instruments,
- Electrical Machines,
- Fractional Kilowatt Motors and single phase induction Motors,
- Synchronous Machines,
- Generation, Transmission, and Distribution,
- Estimation and Costing,
- Utilization and Electrical Energy,
- Basic Electronics.
Mechanical Engineering –
- Theory of Machines and Machine Design,
- Engineering Mechanics and Strength of Materials,
- Properties of Pure Substances,
- 1st Law of Thermodynamics,
- 2nd Law of Thermodynamics,
- Air standard Cycles for IC Engines,
- IC Engine Performance,
- IC Engines Combustion,
- IC Engine Cooling & Lubrication,
- Rankine cycle of System,
- Boilers, Classification,
- Specification, Fitting & Accessories,
- Air Compressors & their cycles,
- Refrigeration cycles,
- Principle of Refrigeration Plant,
- Nozzles & Steam Turbines.
Properties & Classification of Fluids –
- Fluid Statics,
- Measurement of Fluid Pressure,
- Fluid kinematics,
- Dynamics of Ideal fluids,
- Measurement of Flow rate, basic principles,
- Hydraulic Turbines,
- Centrifugal Pumps,
- Classification of steels.
SSC JE Exam Syllabus 2021 – Paper-II:
Below, you will get the SSC JE Syllabus 2021 of 2nd paper for Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Streams
Part-A: Civil & Structural Engineering Civil Engineering Building Materials –
- Physical and Chemical properties,
- Classification, Standard Tests,
- Uses and Manufacture/Quarrying Of Materials E.G.
- Building Stones,
- Silicate-based Materials,
- Cement (Portland), Asbestos Products,
- Timber and Wood-based Products,
- Bituminous Materials,
- Paints, Varnishes.
Estimating, Costing, and Valuation:
- Glossary Of Technical Terms,
- Analysis Of Rates,
- Methods And Unit Of Measurement,
- Items of work–earthwork,
- Brickwork (Modular & Traditional bricks),
- RCC work,
- Timber work,
- Boundary wall, Brick building,
- Water Tank,
- Septic tank,
- Bar bending schedule,
- Centreline Method,
- Midsection Formula,
- Trapezoidal Formula,
- The Trapezoidal Rule.
- Cost Estimate Of Septic Tank,
- Flexible Pavements,
- Tube Well,
- Isolates And Combined Footings,
- Steel Truss,
- Piles And Pile-caps.
- Value And Cost,
- Scrap Value,
- Salvage Value,
- Assessed Value,
- Sinking Fund,
- Depreciation And Obsolescence,
- Methods Of Evaluation.
- Principles of surveying,
- Measurement of distance,
- Chain surveying,
- Working of the prismatic compass,
- Compass traversing,
- local attractions,
- Plane table surveying,
- Theodolite traversing,
- Adjustment of theodolite,
- Definition of terms used in leveling,
- Curvature and refraction corrections,
- Temporary and permanent adjustments of dumpy level,
- Methods of contouring,
- Uses of contour map
- Tachometric survey,
- Curve setting,
- Advanced surveying equipment.
Soil Mechanics: Origin of soil, phase diagram, Definitions-void ratio, porosity, degree of saturation, water content, the specific gravity of soil grains, unit weights, density index, and interrelationship of different parameters, Grain size distribution curves, and their uses. Index properties of soils, Atterberg’s limits, ISI soil classification, and plasticity chart. Permeability of soil, coefficient of permeability, determination of coefficient of permeability, Unconfined and confined aquifers, effective stress, quicksand, consolidation of soils, Principles of consolidation, degree of consolidation, pre-consolidation pressure, normally consolidated soil, e-log p curve, computation of ultimate settlement. Shear strength of soils, direct shear test, Vane shear test, Triaxial test. Soil compaction, Laboratory compaction test, Maximum dry density and optimum moisture content, earth pressure theories, active and passive earth pressures, Bearing capacity of soils, plate load test, standard penetration test.
Hydraulics: Fluid properties, hydrostatics, measurements of flow, Bernoulli’s theorem and its applications, flow through pipes, flow in open channels, weirs, flumes, spillways, pumps, and turbines.
Irrigation Engineering: Definition, necessity, benefits, 2II effects of irrigation, types, and methods of irrigation, Hydrology–Measurement of rainfall, runoff coefficient, rain gauge, losses from precipitation–evaporation, infiltration, etc. Water requirement of crops, duty, delta and base period, Kharif and Rabi Crops, Command area, Time factor, Crop ratio, Overlap allowance, Irrigation efficiencies. Different types of canals, types of canal irrigation, loss of water in canals. Canal lining–types and advantages. Shallow and deep wells, the yield from a well. Weir and barrage, Failure of weirs and permeable foundation, Slit, and Scour, Kennedy’s theory of critical velocity. Lacey’s theory of uniform flow. Definition of flood, causes, and effects, methods of flood control, water logging, preventive measure. Land reclamation, Characteristics of affecting the fertility of soils, purposes, methods, description of the land, and reclamation processes. Major irrigation projects in India.
Transportation Engineering: Highway Engineering–cross-sectional elements, geometric design, types of pavements, pavement materials–aggregates and bitumen, different tests, Design of flexible and rigid pavements–Water Bound Macadam (WBM) and Wet Mix Macadam (WMM), Gravel Road, Bituminous construction, Rigid pavement joint, pavement maintenance, Highway drainage, Railway Engineering-Components of the permanent way–sleepers, ballast, fixtures and fastening, track geometry, points and crossings, track junction, stations, and yards. Traffic Engineering–Different traffic survey, speed-flow-density, and their interrelationships, intersections, and interchanges, traffic signals, traffic operation, traffic signs and markings, road safety.
Environmental Engineering: Quality of water, source of water supply, purification of water, distribution of water, need of sanitation, sewerage systems, circular sewers, oval sewer, sewer appurtenances, sewage treatments. Surface water drainage. Solid waste management–types, effects, engineered management system. Air pollution–pollutants, causes, effects, control. Noise pollution–cause, health effects, control.
Theory of structures: Elasticity constants, types of beams–determinate and indeterminate, bending moment and shear force diagrams of simply supported, cantilever, and overhanging beams. Moment of area and moment of inertia for rectangular & circular sections, bending moment and shear stress for tee, channel, and compound sections, chimneys, dams and retaining walls, eccentric loads, slope deflection of simply supported and cantilever beams, critical load and columns, Torsion of circular section.
Concrete Technology: Properties, Advantages, and uses of concrete, cement aggregates, the importance of water quality, water-cement ratio, workability, mix design, storage, batching, mixing, placement, compaction, finishing and curing of concrete, quality control of concrete, hot weather and cold weather concreting, repair and maintenance of concrete structures.
RCC Design: RCC beams-flexural strength, shear strength, bond strength, design of singly reinforced and doubly reinforced beams, cantilever beams. T-beams, lintels. One-way and two-way slabs, isolated footings. Reinforced brick works, columns, staircases, retaining wall, water tanks (RCC design questions may be based on both Limit State and Working Stress methods).
Steel Design: Steel design and construction of steel columns, beams roof trusses plate girders
Part-B (Electrical Engineering):
Basic concepts: Concepts of resistance, inductance, capacitance, and various factors affecting them. Concepts of current, voltage, power, energy, and their units.
Circuit law: Kirchhoff’s law, Simple Circuit solution using network theorems.
Magnetic Circuit: Concepts of flux, mmf, reluctance, Different kinds of magnetic materials, Magnetic calculations for conductors of different configuration e.g. straight, circular, solenoidal, etc. Electromagnetic induction, self, and mutual induction.
AC Fundamentals: Instantaneous, peak, R.M.S. and average values of alternating waves, Representation of sinusoidal waveform, simple series and parallel AC Circuits consisting of R.L. and C, Resonance, Tank Circuit. Poly-Phase system–star and delta connection, 3 phase power, DC and sinusoidal response of R-Land R-C circuit.
Measurement and Measuring Instruments: Measurement of power (1 phase and 3 phase, both active and reactive) and energy, 2 wattmeter method of 3 phase power measurement. Measurement of frequency and phase angle. Ammeter and voltmeter (both moving oil and moving iron type), the extension of range wattmeter, Multimeters, Megger, Energy meter AC Bridges. Use of CRO, Signal Generator, CT, PT, and their uses. Earth Fault detection.
- D.C. Machine–Construction, basic principles of D.C. motors and generators, their characteristics, speed control, and starting of D.C. Motors. Method of braking motor, Loss, and efficiency of D.C. Machines.
- 1 phase and 3 phase transformers–Construction, Principles of operation, equivalent circuit, voltage regulation, O.C., and S.C. Tests, Losses, and efficiency. Effect of voltage, frequency, and waveform on losses. Parallel operation of 1 phase /3phase transformers. Autotransformers.
- 3 phase induction motors, rotating magnetic field, the principle of operation, equivalent circuit, torque-speed characteristics, starting and speed control of 3 phases induction motors. Methods of braking, the effect of voltage and frequency variation on torque speed characteristics.
Fractional Kilowatt Motors and Single Phase Induction Motors: Characteristics and applications.
Synchronous Machines – Generation of 3-phase e.m.f. armature reaction, voltage regulation, parallel operation of two alternators, synchronizing, control of active and reactive power. Starting and applications of synchronous motors.
Generation, Transmission, and Distribution –
- Different types of power stations,
- Load factor,
- Diversity factor,
- demand factor,
- cost of generation,
- inter-connection of power stations.
- Power factor improvement,
- various types of tariffs,
- types of faults,
- short circuit current for symmetrical faults.
- The rating of circuit breakers,
- Principles of arc extinction by oil and air, H.R.C. Fuses, Protection against earth leakage / over current, etc.
- Buchholtz relay,
- Merz-Price system of protection of generators & transformers,
- protection of feeders and bus bars.
- Lightning arresters,
- Various Transmission and Distribution System,
- Comparison Of Conductor Materials,
- The Efficiency Of a Different System.
- Cable–different Type Of Cables,
- Cable Rating and Derating Factor.
Estimation and costing: Estimation of lighting scheme, electric installation of machines, and relevant IE rules. Earthing practices and IE Rules.
Utilization of Electrical Energy: Illumination, Electric heating, Electric welding, Electroplating, Electric drives, and motors.
Basic Electronics: Working of various electronic devices e.g. P N Junction diodes, Transistors (NPN and PNP type), BJT, and JFET. Simple circuits using these devices
Part-C (Mechanical Engineering):
- Theory of Machines and Machine Design
- Concept of a simple machine,
- Four bar linkage and link motion,
- Flywheels and fluctuation of energy,
- Power transmission by belts–V-belts and Flat belts,
- Clutches–Plate and Conical clutch,
- Type of gears,
- gear profile and gear ratio calculation,
- Principles and classification,
- Riveted joint,
- Friction in collars and pivots.
- Engineering Mechanics and Strength of Materials
- Equilibrium of Forces,
- Law of motion, Friction,
- Concepts of stress and strain,
- Elastic limit and elastic constants,
- Bending moments and shear force diagram,
- Stress in composite bars,
- Torsion of circular shafts,
Bucking of columns –
- Euler’s and Rankin’s theories,
- Thin-walled pressure vessels.
Properties of Pure Substances:
- P-V & P-T diagrams of pure substance like H2O,
- Introduction of steam table with respect to steam generation process; definition of saturation, wet & superheated status.
- Definition of dryness fraction of steam, degree of superheat of steam. H-s chart of steam (Mollier’s Chart).
1st Law of Thermodynamics:
- Definition of stored energy & internal energy,
- 1st Law of Thermodynamics of cyclic process,
- Non-Flow Energy Equation,
- Flow Energy & Definition of enthalpy,
- Conditions for Steady State Steady Flow; Steady State Steady Flow Energy Equation.
2nd Law of Thermodynamics:
- Definition of Sink,
- Source Reservoir of Heat,
- Heat Engine,
- Heat Pump & Refrigerator;
Thermal Efficiency of Heat Engines & co-efficient of performance of Refrigerators, Kelvin –
- Planck & Clausius Statements of 2nd Law of Thermodynamics,
- Absolute or Thermodynamic Scale of temperature,
- Clausius Integral,
- Entropy change calculation of ideal gas processes.
- Carnot Cycle & Carnot Efficiency,
- PMM-2; definition & its impossibility.
Air standard Cycles for IC engines:
- Otto cycle;
- The plot on P-V,
- T-S Planes;
- Thermal Efficiency,
- Diesel Cycle;
- The plot on P-V,
- T-S planes;
- Thermal efficiency.
IC Engine Performance, IC Engine Combustion, IC Engine Cooling & Lubrication.
- Rankine cycle of steam:
- Simple Rankine cycle plot on P-V, T-S,
- H-S planes,
- Rankine cycle efficiency with & without pump work.
Boilers; Classification; Specification; Fittings & Accessories: Fire Tube & Water Tube Boilers.
Air Compressors & their cycles; Refrigeration cycles; Principle of a Refrigeration Plant; Nozzles & Steam Turbines.
Fluid Mechanics & Machinery
Properties & Classification of Fluid: ideal & real fluids, Newton’s law of viscosity, Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids, compressible and incompressible fluids.
Fluid Statics: Pressure at a point.
Measurement of Fluid Pressure: Manometers, YOUtube, Inclined tube.
Fluid Kinematics: Streamline, laminar & turbulent flow, external & internal flow, continuity question.
Dynamics of ideal fluids: Bernoulli’s equation, Total head; Velocity head; Pressure head; Application of Bernoulli’s equation.
Measurement of Flow rate Basic Principles: Venturimeter, Pilot tube, Orifice meter.
Hydraulic Turbines: Classifications, Principles.
Centrifugal Pumps: Classifications, Principles, Performance.
Classification of Steels:
- Mild Steel & Alloy Steel,
- Heat Treatment Of Steel,
- Welding–arc Welding,
- Gas Welding,
- Resistance Welding,
- Special Welding Techniques I.E. Tig, Mig, Etc. (Brazing & Soldering),
- Welding Defects & Testing;
- NDT, Foundry & Casting–methods, Defects,
- Different Casting Processes, Forging, Extrusion, Etc,
- Metal Cutting Principles,
- Cutting Tools,
Basic Principles of machining with :
- Grinding, Machines, tools & manufacturing processes.
|Download SSC JE Syllabus||SSC JE Pattern & Topics|
|Download SSC JE Previous Papers||Previous papers|
|Official Links||Click Here|